Tank repair . . . attempt
After some searching around the interwebs, I found out that some people use a silver based solder to do basic tank repairs. The nice thing about this is that it doesn't require as much heat as brazing so you can just use a propane torch. It's fairly cheap, so I picked up the supplies and gave it a try.
I chose a smallish dent on the side of the tank for my first attempt. It was previously filled with a bunch of JB Weld.
I rested the tank on its side, brushed on some flux, and heated up the dent. Then applied the solder.
I ground it down with the Dremel and then sanded it smooth. Its hard to tell from the picture, but it turned out pretty well. So I moved on to the pitted and pin-holed front section of the tank.
That didn't go well for a few reasons. Some of what I thought was pitted metal was more JB Weld. While trying to heat up the metal I actually burnt away a bunch of it. So now I have more holes. Once I got the metal heated up the solder didn't want to flow into the dents or build up to cover the holes. It wanted to form a useless, giant ball of molten solder which would run off the side of the tank and/or run through the hole into the tank. Before it cooled I would try to spread it out with a piece of wood, but that didn't really work either. When I moved on to fill the next hole I would reheat, and undo, the work I had already done. I need to rethink my technique. At least I did a good job on the first dent.