Yes, disassemble

. . . all over the place.  I finally broke the bike down completely.

Here it is at the roller stage.  The rear suspension on this bike is kind of unique in the way that the shock is nearly vertical in the center of the frame and gets compressed downward via the linkage.  My plan is to run without the side covers to show off the shock.  Side note: nobody makes a better light motorcycle stand than Wells' Blue Bunny in Le Mars, IA.

I didn't realize the steering stem used loose ball bearings.  They bounced all over the garage when I dropped it out.  I don't think I found them all.

As you can see many parts were covered in dirt and grime, so I sat down with a bucket of soapy water and scrubbed them down.  I also let rusty parts soak in a can of Krud Kutter.

After scrubbing the parts down I arranged them neatly on my workbench like a huge nerd.

I've ordered a couple of A123 LiPoFE4 cells to build a smaller, easier to hide battery.  Since I won't be using the side covers I'm going to fab up a tray to hold the battery, flasher, and igniter under the rear of the tank.

The engine ran when I got the bike, but it leaked oil.  I'm going to clean it up and replace the gaskets, piston rings, and reeds.  I'll also rebuild the carb and give the whole thing a nice coat of gloss black engine enamel.

No comments:

Post a Comment